There are various eye conditions in horses, some of which can be emergent and require prolonged care and/or treatment.
Common Eye Conditions in Horses
Here at Roaring Fork Equine Medical Center we provide ophthalmic examination for certain conditions such as:
- Corneal ulcers
- Equine recurrent uveitis (ERU)
- Ocular tumors such as squamous cell carcinoma
- Ocular trauma or foreign bodies
Eye Treatments for Horses
In addition to examination, we also offer treatment including but not limited to:
- Sub-palpebral lavage system placement
- Conjunctival flap surgery
- Low dose gentamicin injection for the treatment of ERU
- Third eyelid removal
RFEMC does not have a board-certified veterinary ophthalmologist on staff. Therefore, certain complicated eye conditions may come with the recommendation for referral to ensure your horse is receiving the best possible treatment. The closest veterinary ophthalmologist is in the Denver area.