Wellness and preventative care are focuses of the ambulatory veterinary care provided by Roaring Fork Equine Medical Center.
Some aspects of general wellness that we offer evaluation and consultation for include:
- gastrointestinal parasitism and deworming
- and more...
Horse Diseases and Vaccinations
We also consider vaccination an important part of your horse's health. Here in the Roaring Fork Valley of Colorado, we recommend vaccination against the following diseases:
At risk: all horses living outside
- West Nile Virus, Eastern and Western Encephalitis - these are diseases that are transmitted by mosquitoes and result in neurologic disease and possibly death
- Rabies - zoonotic virus that causes neurologic disease and death
- Tetanus - bacterial toxin that causes neuromuscular disease and possibly death
Horse to horse diseases
At risk: horses who interact with other horses are at risk
- Equine Influenza Virus - virus that results in respiratory disease
- Equine Herpes Virus - virus that results in mild respiratory disease and possible neurologic disease, abortions and death in young foals
- Streptococcus equi equi (Strangles) - bacteria that results in respiratory disease with possible severe complications
There are other vaccines available for horses but, at this time, we consider these other equine infectious diseases low risk in our geographical area.